Close Menu
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Newsletter
Truth Republican
You are at:Home»Business»Johnson & Johnson agrees to pay $5.5B to settle talc lawsuits
Business

Johnson & Johnson agrees to pay $5.5B to settle talc lawsuits

Buddy DoyleBy Buddy DoyleJuly 28, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
Johnson & Johnson agrees to pay .5B to settle talc lawsuits
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Johnson & Johnson (J&J) on Monday said it reached a settlement that it would pay an estimated $5.5 billion to settle tens of thousands of lawsuits alleging its baby powder and talc products cause ovarian cancer, which could end years of litigation on the subject.

The company said the proposed settlement would cover about 76,000 claims – including those that have been consolidated in federal court in New Jersey and related cases in state court – to cover nearly all the outstanding claims against J&J.

J&J previously settled most of the cases alleging its talc contained asbestos and caused mesothelioma.

The deal was confirmed by plaintiffs’ law firms on Monday, saying it was a good resolution after a decade-long court battle. The deal has to be accepted by 95% of the ovarian cancer claimants in state or federal court before it becomes final.

JOHNSON & JOHNSON CEO CREDITS TRUMP TAX POLICY FOR $55B US INVESTMENT PUSH, INCLUDING $1B IN FLORIDA

J&J denied wrongdoing in its announcement of the settlement, saying that the plaintiffs weren’t able to prove their claims that the talc products caused cancer cases and that the settlement is a way of efficiently ending the litigation.

“While we are confident the company would ultimately have prevailed with further litigation, as it has in the vast majority of cases tried to date, this resolution allows the company to put this matter behind it and remain focused on its mission to develop medicines and devices that save lives,” said Erik Haas, worldwide VP of litigation at Johnson & Johnson.

The company expects to pay out $3 billion in 2027 and make further payments in 2028, though the deal could be worth more depending on how many people participate in the settlement.

JOHNSON & JOHNSON TO INVEST $1B IN PENNSYLVANIA MANUFACTURING FACILITY

Ticker Security Last Change Change %
JNJ JOHNSON & JOHNSON 265.95 +2.55 +0.97%

Chris Seeger, an attorney who represents about 2,500 clients with talc claims and helped negotiate the settlement, said J&J could ultimately pay $7 billion or more as the settlement doesn’t cap the total payout and rather assigns specific values to qualifying ovarian cancer claims.

Seeger told Reuters in an interview that the plaintiffs “got a fair settlement, and our clients are going to be happy with it.”

The settlement comes after J&J secured a series of courtroom victories, including in individual trials, moves to disqualify plaintiffs’ lawyers and rulings against experts used by plaintiffs. The company won a significant court victory last week when a federal judge cast doubt on individual plaintiffs’ ability to prove that talc specifically caused their ovarian cancer.

TEXAS AG SUES KENVUE, J&J OVER ‘DECEPTIVELY MARKETING’ TYLENOL TO PREGNANT WOMEN

Johnson and Johnson American multinational of medical, pharmaceutical and perfumery products headquarters on 28 January 2025.

J&J has long denied that its talc products caused cancer, saying the products were safe and didn’t contain asbestos. It stopped selling talc-based baby powder in the U.S. in 2020 and switched to a cornstarch product.

The company attempted a legal strategy in which shell-company subsidiaries declared bankruptcy in an effort to settle the cases, though that proved unsuccessful.

It had a mixed record when talc cases went to trial, winning some outright and reducing verdicts on appeal, though it was hit with a multibillion-dollar verdict in a case brought by 22 women.

The new settlement only applies to existing claims and doesn’t address future lawsuits. The exclusion of future claims made more money available to current plaintiffs and also accelerated the payments so that all claims will be paid within 18 months instead of being spread out over more than a decade, Seeger said.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleDEI hiring boost as one blue state’s Muslim commission initiative flies in the face of Trump’s anti-woke push
Next Article Fuel Tanker Hijacked By Pirates

Related Articles

Nearly 40,000 eye drops recalled nationwide over possible contamination

August 21, 2026

California helicopter maker lands major Army training deal, could support hundreds of US jobs

August 21, 2026

Dave Portnoy backs Pizza Hut rebrand as ‘brilliant move’ — then makes his pitch

August 21, 2026

Top JPMorgan Chase exec warns regulatory proposal could squeeze credit for millions of small businesses

August 21, 2026

Trump administration takes steps to chip away at American Bar Association’s power to accredit law schools

August 21, 2026

Neutrogena breaks silence after Hayden Panettiere’s past claims spark backlash following her death

August 21, 2026

Trump says any governor or mayor should want to welcome an AI data center

August 21, 2026

The unexpected reason New Jersey real estate is outperforming the rest of the country

August 21, 2026

Pizza Hut makes surprising change to iconic name ahead of NFL season

August 21, 2026
Don't Miss

DEADLIEST REVOLVER SHOTGUNS IN THE WORLD!

Black voters rip Dems over taking them for granted in El-Sayed’s backyard: ‘Hush us up’

Former acting US Attorney Andrew Haden found dead in San Diego federal building: police

33 LETHAL WEAPONS THAT DON’T NEED GUNPOWDER ON AMAZON!

Latest News

Fox News Campus Radicals Newsletter: DOJ opens probe into prestigious college over alleged discrimination favo

August 21, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: Transportation Secretary Duffy is right, Harvard just ain’t what it used to be

August 21, 2026

60 Legal But LETHAL Home Defense Gadgets on Amazon

August 21, 2026

Supreme Court allows Trump’s White House ballroom construction to continue for now

August 21, 2026

Trump-appointed judge blocks blue state’s crackdown on ICE detention center

August 21, 2026
Copyright © 2026. Truth Republican. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.