Close Menu
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Newsletter
Truth Republican
You are at:Home»News»Bill Belichick avoids specifics as North Carolina launches probe into GM Michael Lombardi
News

Bill Belichick avoids specifics as North Carolina launches probe into GM Michael Lombardi

Buddy DoyleBy Buddy DoyleAugust 1, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
Bill Belichick avoids specifics as North Carolina launches probe into GM Michael Lombardi
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Before North Carolina played its first game under Bill Belichick, off-field headlines largely drowned out the football conversation.

Now, as fall camp ramps up ahead of the former NFL coach’s second season, questions are again swirling about matters away from the field. UNC officials confirmed earlier this week that general manager Michael Lombardi had been placed on leave pending an investigation. School officials announced Thursday that the probe had formally begun.

Details of the investigation remain sparse, and Belichick did little to clarify matters, appearing to sidestep questions about how Lombardi’s indefinite absence could affect the team.

During a news conference, Belichick declined to directly address the situation. “We’re working through some things,” he said.

“We’re at a particular time of the year now where there are certain things that are in play, and certain things that are in play that will happen later in the calendar year. So we’re taking it day to day and work through the things that are on the table right now.”

Shortly before Belichick made those comments, UNC issued a statement saying that “as a result of concerns behind allegations that led to the personnel action regarding Michael Lombardi announced on July 27, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, through its Office of University Counsel, is in the process of investigating this matter.”

Michael Lombardi looks on before a game

The investigation is being treated as a human resources matter, with no timeline set for a resolution. Athletic director Steve Newmark acknowledged the need for a thorough process but added that the school hopes to complete it “as quickly as possible.”

“From our perspective, and I think there’s a recognition across the board, that the university counsel’s office is going to have this go as quickly as possible,” Newmark said. “But I think it’s also important they do it the right way and they gather all the information they need.”

Newmark did not say whether the probe involved anyone else in the athletic department and declined to comment on reports of a separate College Sports Commission investigation into the Tar Heels’ football program.

NCAA ROCKED BY COLORADO JUDGE’S 2022 CLASS ELIGIBILITY RULING THAT COULD RESHAPE COLLEGE SPORTS THIS YEAR

UNC Chancellor Lee Roberts initially opted against weighing in on Michael Lombardi’s situation after a regularly scheduled Board of Trustees meeting. But he recently expressed some frustration with the attention surrounding the issue.

“I’m disappointed that we’re talking about this,” Roberts said before a recent media session wrapped up. “We should be focusing on our student-athletes and on their success. … It’s distressing to me and everyone else in the administration entrusted with leadership at this remarkable university that this is something we have to spend time on.”

Bill Belichick and Michael Lombardi stand on the sideline

The Tar Heels went 4-8 in Belichick’s first season at North Carolina.

Lombardi has hired attorney Tom Mars, 247Sports reported.

Mars released a statement Friday. “Michael hasn’t been told anything about the nature of UNC’s investigation and welcomes the opportunity to clear his name, which has already been sullied by baseless statements and innuendo on social media,” the statement read.

“He is fully cooperating with UNC and expects the investigation will be swift, thorough, and fair. Michael would ask that people have the decency to let the process run its course before jumping to any conclusions about the nature of the investigation or whether there’s any merit to whatever has been alleged.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleShocking percentage of Democrats identify as ‘democratic socialists’ according to new poll: ‘Toxic policies’
Next Article Mamdani not called to speak at NYC funeral of Army sergeant killed in Iranian attack: report

Related Articles

‘Darth Vader’ uses dark side to mock controversial surveillance cameras: ‘The Emperor is a fan of Flock’

August 21, 2026

Longest-serving US prisoner dies at 101 after escaping death penalty 8 times

August 21, 2026

Charter plane crashes near remote radar site in western Alaska, killing all 8 aboard

August 21, 2026

No, the Dodgers didn’t sign Shohei Ohtani or build a superteam because of Mark Walter’s loans

August 21, 2026

Lindsay Clancy’s ex-husband has quietly remarried and started over amid her murder trial

August 21, 2026

Fernando Mendoza throws pick-six in second NFL game as Raiders rookie faces growing pains

August 21, 2026

Venezuelans, Cubans, Colombians arrive in African nation under Trump deportation deal

August 21, 2026

Vice President JD Vance blasts Mamdani, El-Sayed, AOC and Ossoff in rapid-fire TikTok roast

August 21, 2026

Carville unloads on DSA socialists: ‘Don’t use our god—- name’

August 21, 2026
Don't Miss

‘Darth Vader’ uses dark side to mock controversial surveillance cameras: ‘The Emperor is a fan of Flock’

5 LETHAL WEAPONS THAT DON’T NEED GUNPOWDER ON AMAZON!

Longest-serving US prisoner dies at 101 after escaping death penalty 8 times

Henry Long Ranger Big Woods Carbine Review: A Serious .308 Woods Rifle

Henry Long Ranger Big Woods Carbine Review: A Serious .308 Woods Rifle

Latest News

FBI seizes Swalwell’s devices at airport as sexual misconduct investigation escalates: sources

August 21, 2026

Charter plane crashes near remote radar site in western Alaska, killing all 8 aboard

August 21, 2026

Why EVERY American NEEDS This Pistol Caliber Carbine in 2026!

August 21, 2026

Tulsi Gabbard gives promising, emotional update on husband’s successful bone cancer surgery

August 21, 2026

No, the Dodgers didn’t sign Shohei Ohtani or build a superteam because of Mark Walter’s loans

August 21, 2026
Copyright © 2026. Truth Republican. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.