Close Menu
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Newsletter
Truth Republican
You are at:Home»Politics»California mayor’s hot mic catches candid exchange after audience sends meeting off rails
Politics

California mayor’s hot mic catches candid exchange after audience sends meeting off rails

Buddy DoyleBy Buddy DoyleJuly 24, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
California mayor’s hot mic catches candid exchange after audience sends meeting off rails
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A live microphone exposed a behind-the-scenes conversation between Sacramento’s mayor and vice mayor as they discussed whether disruptive protesters could be barred from future city council meetings after a heated immigration-related debate descended into chaos.

“We should go over this disruptions thing, because if we want to ban somebody in the future, like to take them out, we have to point out specifically…” Vice Mayor Karina Talamantes is heard saying.

“I know, but the city attorney said we can’t do that,” Mayor Kevin McCarty replied.

“We did it last time,” Talamantes responded.

GOP SENATORS RALLY AROUND NEW DHS PROPOSAL TARGETING SANCTUARY CITIES: ‘SHOULD PAY A PRICE’

“We can’t,” McCarty said, shaking his head. “I spent my first six months going over this. I wanted to give people, like, probation, like, you can’t come…”

Talamantes then appeared to realize the microphone was still live and quickly reached over to switch it off before continuing the conversation, according to the publicly available city council livestream reviewed by Fox News Digital.

The awkward exchange unfolded Tuesday after Sacramento City Council recessed and ordered the public removed from the chambers following repeated disruptions during a fiery debate over the city’s continued participation in a regional intelligence-sharing center.

The confrontation escalated after Talamantes defended accepting federal funding for the Central California Intelligence Center, or CCIC, arguing Sacramento’s sanctuary city policies and immigrant protections made the city better suited to oversee the grant than other jurisdictions.

“The city of Sacramento is a sanctuary city,” Talamantes said during the meeting. “If we don’t pass these dollars, other counties will apply for these dollars, they will get those dollars and we will have no safeguards to protect our immigrant communities here in Sacramento.”

Dozens of speakers had earlier urged the council to reject the agreement, arguing the intelligence center could facilitate information sharing with federal immigration authorities and undermine Sacramento’s sanctuary city policies.

Police officials repeatedly disputed those claims during the meeting, telling council members Sacramento does not share personal identifying information for civil immigration enforcement and complies with California’s sanctuary law, known as SB 54. 

DHS LAWYER SAYS UCLA ‘UTTERLY FAILED’ TO STOP PROTEST CHAOS AT LAW SCHOOL APPEARANCE

Community members urged Sacramento City Council to reject continued participation in the Central California Intelligence Center during an emotional public comment session

As public comment grew increasingly heated, one speaker repeatedly demanded McCarty pay attention.

“Kevin, I need your f—ing eyes. Kevin, listen to me. Stop being an a–hole, dude. Listen to your f—ing constituents,” the speaker shouted.

Following Talamantes’ remarks, another round of shouting erupted inside the council chambers.

WATCH: HEARING DERAILS AS PURPLE-HAIRED DEM POINTS FINGER, SCREAMS AT CHAIR TO PUT DHS CHIEF ‘IN HIS PLACE’

“You’re a pick-me b—-,” one attendee shouted at Talamantes, while others yelled, “Shame on you.”

McCarty responded with what he described as a “final notice.”

“This is the final notice,” the mayor said. “We’re going to continue with the deliberation, and if there’s any more outbursts, we’re gonna have to ask the audience to leave.”

Seconds later, the disruptions intensified.

Sacramento City Council members debate funding for the Central California Intelligence Center during a July 21 meeting

“You can’t do this behind closed f—ing doors!” one attendee shouted.

“We are the community,” another yelled.

“You represent us. You are our f—ing audience,” another voice exclaimed as council members attempted to continue the meeting.

Council officials then paused the meeting and cleared the chambers after repeated disruptions prevented deliberations from continuing.

Following the meeting, McCarty said the private conversation focused on existing meeting procedures, not new restrictions.

“Every Tuesday, Vice Mayor Talamantes and I are responsible for overseeing and ensuring transparent, accessible, and open Council meetings,” McCarty said in a statement to Fox News Digital.

“Unfortunately, when meetings are repeatedly disrupted, we must discuss existing policies and rules to ensure Council meetings remain effective, orderly, and respectful for both the residents in attendance and the Councilmembers. We are committed to ensuring that all members of the public can access and engage safely without distraction or intimidation.”

Sacramento Mayor Kevin McCarty addresses the City Council during a meeting before a hot-mic conversation was captured on the livestream.

The Sacramento City Attorney’s Office declined to address McCarty’s reference to legal advice during the hot-mic exchange.

“The City Attorney’s Office has no comment and will not be providing comment on this matter,” the office said in a statement to Fox News Digital.

The city’s published meeting rules state that members of the public receive two minutes per agenda item and may speak on no more than four items during a meeting, limits intended to help the council conduct city business.

The hot-mic exchange quickly drew criticism from some activists, who argued Talamantes appeared interested in silencing vocal opponents.

Joshua Masias, a volunteer organizer with the Sac Immigration Committee, told The Sacramento Bee the conversation showed an authoritative approach toward members of the public.

“It’s very authoritative how she wants to use her power,” Masias told the outlet. “It stuck out to me that she was the only one to try to silence the crowd.”

Resident Leanna Hunt, one of the council’s most outspoken critics, also defended the protesters’ frustration.

“I’m fed up,” Hunt told the Bee. “It’s not even a tactic — I’m just tired of being treated like we are an audience and that the king is deigning to see us peasants today and when the peasants are unruly, the king gets upset.”

Fox News Digital reached out to Vice Mayor Talamantes’ office, Sacramento Police Department and the Sac Immigration Committee for additional comment.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleFormer Fever player responds to Sophie Cunningham by alleging Indiana harassment cover-up
Next Article Trump administration unveils new tariffs on 60 trading partners as temporary duties expire

Related Articles

Teacher who battled union fears she’s being targeted after shirt complaint: ‘I’m afraid’

August 22, 2026

WATCH: Father of three outraged over advice his family received amid trans teacher fight

August 22, 2026

Democrats face ‘do-or-die’ split with key voting bloc in razor-close Senate race

August 22, 2026

EXCLUSIVE: 5-time illegal entrant admits ‘mistake’ that finally got him busted by ICE

August 22, 2026

Top Dems go silent after McCarthy vindicated for booting Swalwell off intel committee

August 22, 2026

AOC endorses Sen Ed Markey as incumbent faces Dem US Senate primary challenge from Rep Seth Moulton

August 22, 2026

Schumer ducks question on campaigning with socialist candidate who refuses to back him as leader

August 22, 2026

Southern California hits ICE with ‘dumbfounding’ roadblock as top lawmaker rips ‘reckless’ hypocrisy

August 22, 2026

Top 5 most heated moments as progressives spar over who is further to the left in final Dem Senate debate

August 22, 2026
Don't Miss

Navy veterans reunite after 30 years for ‘grueling’ cross-country bike challenge honoring 9/11

Teacher who battled union fears she’s being targeted after shirt complaint: ‘I’m afraid’

Golfer Paige Spiranac leaves playing partner speechless with awkward question, LLWS mud & WNBA wiki pages

27 ULTIMATE SURVIVAL KNIVES ON AMAZON 2025

Latest News

Jets say Geno Smith delivers ‘exactly what we were looking for’ in 2026 debut, so here comes the overreaction

August 22, 2026

Why Americans Consider This GUN the Most Dangerous Today – Shocking truth!

August 22, 2026

Financial influencer reveals what America’s everyday millionaires have in common

August 22, 2026

Democrats face ‘do-or-die’ split with key voting bloc in razor-close Senate race

August 22, 2026

Start your engines: Here is your crash course on the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix weekend

August 22, 2026
Copyright © 2026. Truth Republican. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.