Close Menu
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Newsletter
Truth Republican
You are at:Home»Politics»LA gun owners stuck waiting years for concealed carry permits score major DOJ victory
Politics

LA gun owners stuck waiting years for concealed carry permits score major DOJ victory

Buddy DoyleBy Buddy DoyleAugust 17, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD) has slashed lengthy concealed carry permit delays after a Department of Justice (DOJ) lawsuit accused the agency of leaving thousands of applications in limbo and forcing some gun owners to wait nearly three years for action.

The turnaround prompted the DOJ to end its landmark lawsuit against LASD, with federal officials announcing Thursday that the sheriff’s department is now meeting California’s permitting deadlines after adding personnel and new processing software.

The case put one of the nation’s largest law enforcement agencies at the center of the Trump administration’s push to enforce Second Amendment rights, with the DOJ calling the outcome a “huge win” for Los Angeles County residents and gun owners.

INSIDE TRUMP’S UNPRECEDENTED BATTLE PLAN TO EXPAND SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS THROUGH JUSTICE DEPARTMENT

The agreement marks the conclusion of a case the DOJ touted when it was filed in September 2025 as its first-ever affirmative lawsuit brought in support of gun owners’ Second Amendment rights.

At the time of the lawsuit, applicants were waiting an average of more than nine months to receive decisions on their permits, the DOJ alleged. LASD has since “drastically” reduced those waits and is now complying with California’s statutory deadlines, the DOJ said.

“The sheriff acknowledged the problem and devoted substantial additional resources, including new processing software and additional personnel, to cutting waiting times dramatically,” Assistant Attorney General Harmeet K. Dhillon of the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division said.

“We applaud their efforts and are happy to be able to bring this litigation to a successful conclusion!”

CIVIL LIBERTY ADVOCATES SUE BLUE STATE OVER ‘SHOW YOUR PAPERS’ GUN LAW

Todd Settergren of Setterarms gun shop, handles pistols inside his display case on Friday Jan. 13, 2017, in Walnut Creek, Ca.

The settlement caps a battle that began in March 2025, when the DOJ’s Civil Rights Division opened a pattern-or-practice investigation into whether the nation’s largest sheriff’s department was effectively denying residents their constitutional right to bear arms through excessive permitting delays.

The DOJ said at the time that it had received numerous complaints about the department’s handling of concealed carry applications. Federal officials pointed to a court case in which applicants had faced waits of roughly 18 months.

The investigation escalated into a federal lawsuit on Sept. 30, 2025.

Federal prosecutors alleged that between January 2024 and March 2025, LASD received 3,982 applications for new concealed carry licenses but had approved just two as of May 2025.

TRUMP’S PUSH FOR NATIONAL CONCEALED CARRY RECIPROCITY WOULD PROTECT GOOD GUYS WITH GUNS

Man and handgun

Approximately 2,768 applications remained pending, while another 1,210 had been withdrawn, according to the complaint.

The federal government alleged applicants waited an average of 281 days before LASD took action on its applications, while the median delay was 372 days. Some applicants had waited as long as 1,030 days — nearly three years.

California law requires licensing authorities to provide applicants with an initial approval or denial within 90 days.

The DOJ argued those delays amounted to a “pattern or practice” of depriving people of their constitutional rights, alleging LASD was effectively forcing some applicants to abandon their efforts to obtain a permit.

MARYLAND SYNAGOGUE SUES COUNTY OVER LAW RESTRICTING CONCEALED CARRY NEAR HOUSES OF WORSHIP

LA County Sheriff's Office SUV at crime scene

“The Second Amendment protects the fundamental constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to bear arms,” former Attorney General Pam Bondi said when the lawsuit was filed. “Los Angeles County may not like that right, but the Constitution does not allow them to infringe upon it.”

The federal action followed separate litigation brought by the California Rifle & Pistol Association, Gun Owners of America, Gun Owners of California, the Second Amendment Foundation and individual gun owners challenging California and local concealed carry restrictions.

That case resulted in a preliminary injunction that included allowing qualifying non-California residents to apply for concealed carry permits. California subsequently changed its law to permit qualifying non-residents to apply, and LASD’s current application portal includes an option for out-of-state applicants.

The DOJ’s case also came amid a broader effort by the Trump administration to use federal civil rights enforcement to protect Second Amendment rights.

DOJ SUES DENVER OVER BAN ON ‘ASSAULT WEAPONS’ AS CITY’S DEM MAYOR SAYS IT ‘WILL NOT BE BULLIED’

The Civil Rights Division has since established a dedicated Second Amendment Section, which has pursued challenges involving firearms laws and permitting practices in several jurisdictions.

Under the settlement announced Thursday, LASD will maintain procedures designed to ensure concealed carry applications are processed under objective standards and without lengthy delays.

The DOJ credited Sheriff Robert Luna’s department with putting additional personnel and new technology toward eliminating the backlog.

The DOJ said its Second Amendment Section will continue accepting complaints from current and prospective gun owners who believe state or local governments have infringed their right to keep or bear arms.

Fox News Digital reached out to the LASD for comment, but did not immediately receive a response.

Fox News Digital’s Michael Dorgan contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleCNN fires back at Trump White House over attacks on reporter, calls them ‘beneath the office’
Next Article Buss family agrees to sell remaining Lakers ownership stake to Josh Kushner, Bob Iger group

Related Articles

El-Sayed aide likens GOP opponent’s campaign to ‘KKK cross burning’ over video with Ford pickup

August 17, 2026

Declassified FBI docs reveal Swalwell had sex with ‘Fang Fang’ multiple times

August 17, 2026

House Democrat investigated over alleged ‘inappropriate sexual contact’ with staffer

August 17, 2026

Trump meets teen lifeguard and boy saved in viral ocean rescue at Oval Office

August 17, 2026

Mike Johnson taunts Hakeem Jeffries for losing Dems’ civil war ‘in his own backyard’

August 17, 2026

US military bases are ‘ill-equipped’ to stop drone swarms, top commander reveals after Rubio’s UAP warning

August 17, 2026

House Republican suggests Sen Darline Graham is an ‘ally’ for the ‘swamp’

August 17, 2026

Ilhan Omar staffer shredded for downplaying healthcare CEO’s killing after Luigi Mangione guilty plea

August 17, 2026

LA teachers patrol for ICE before class as DHS blasts enforcement ‘false narrative’

August 17, 2026
Don't Miss

Jeanie Buss battling siblings over sale of remaining Lakers shares to new ownership group: reports

Cancer treatment delays surge across US as doctor warns system ‘needs fixing immediately’

El-Sayed aide likens GOP opponent’s campaign to ‘KKK cross burning’ over video with Ford pickup

Illegal immigrant learns fate after using stolen identity to vote in US elections for decades

Latest News

LA gun owners stuck waiting years for concealed carry permits score major DOJ victory

August 17, 2026

CNN fires back at Trump White House over attacks on reporter, calls them ‘beneath the office’

August 17, 2026

Shots On The 911 Line: Houston Man Kills Girlfriend’s Ex-Boyfriend During Violent Apartment Break-In

August 17, 2026

LARRY KUDLOW: Trump and the GOP Actually Have a Strong Election Message as Long as They Make It

August 17, 2026

Declassified FBI docs reveal Swalwell had sex with ‘Fang Fang’ multiple times

August 17, 2026
Copyright © 2026. Truth Republican. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.