Close Menu
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Newsletter
Truth Republican
You are at:Home»Politics»Senate clears way for Trump’s top spy as key anti-terror program remains in limbo
Politics

Senate clears way for Trump’s top spy as key anti-terror program remains in limbo

Buddy DoyleBy Buddy DoyleJuly 28, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
Senate clears way for Trump’s top spy as key anti-terror program remains in limbo
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

President Donald Trump’s pick to run the nation’s intelligence agencies is one step closer to clinching the job, and puts the Senate ever-closer to jump-starting a key counter-terrorism tool in the process.

The Senate advanced Jay Clayton through a key hurdle Monday night to be the next Director of National Intelligence (DNI). It comes after former DNI Tulsi Gabbard’s sudden exit from the position to care for her cancer-stricken husband.

The largely partisan 51-43 vote to move Clayton, who formerly chaired the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) during Trump’s first term, comes after he narrowly squeaked out the Senate Intelligence Committee on a 9 to 8 vote.

TRUMP’S DNI PICK CLEARS KEY HURDLE, REVIVING PATH FOR NATION’S TOP ANTI-TERROR SURVEILLANCE PROGRAM

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., challenged Democrats to support Clayton during the broader, final vote, but expected them to resist as they have with several other Trump nominees through his second term.

“One might think that we’d be seeing some bipartisanship from Democrats on this nominee,” Thune said. “But Democrats are playing the same partisan games with this qualified nominee as they have for so many of President Trump’s picks.”

“It’s a funny thing because Democrats have made no secret of their disdain for the current acting Director of … National intelligence,” he continued. “In fact, Democrats were so worked up over the president’s temporary choice for this position, they allowed our nation’s most important counterterrorism tool to go dark for the first time ever.”

TRUMP CONCESSION BREATHES NEW LIFE INTO STALLED FISA SPY POWERS DEAL

The Senate will now vote on confirmation Tuesday, putting an end cap on an arduous process to replace Gabbard. When she announced her exit from the position, Trump hastily installed Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) Director Bill Pulte to lead the nation’s 18 intelligence agencies in the interim.

That came as the Senate was nearing a vote on a bipartisan deal to keep the nation’s top counter-terrorism tool, Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), running ahead of its expiration.

But Democrats, who railed against Pulte and accused him of being an unqualified loyalist who would weaponize the intelligence community against the president’s enemies and try to dismantle it, walked away from the deal after Trump torpedoed Clayton’s previously scheduled confirmation hearing.

SPY LAW USED TO STOP TAYLOR SWIFT ATTACK TO LAPSE AS CONGRESS SKIPS TOWN, WORLD CUP NEARS

Bill Pulte

Less than 24 hours before Clayton’s penultimate test, Pulte announced on X that he had completed his fourth round of layoffs as DNI.

“Since becoming Acting Director of National Intelligence, our team has been smartly, and carefully, reducing the size of ODNI, re-focusing ODNI on national security, the law, and the statute,” Pulte said. “As of this evening, we just finished a 4th round of thoughtful, measured layoffs. Thank you!”

The Section 702 program has since been steadily going dark, with new authorizations caught in a legal void until lawmakers reauthorize the program that has been used to thwart deadly terror attacks, including halting a mass-casualty terror plot at a Taylor Swift show in Vienna, Austria.

Last week, only Republicans on the panel voted Clayton out of committee after he failed to satisfy Senate Democrats’ questioning on who won the 2020 election, his knowledge of Gabbard’s raid on the Fulton County, Georgia election offices, and subpoenas against New York Times reporters that his were submitted by him in his role as the top prosecutor in New York’s Southern District.

Those subpoenas were voluntarily withdrawn by the Department of Justice last week, two days after Clayton was confirmed by the panel.

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleWhite House fires back after John Mellencamp mocks Trump’s Gulf of America during concert
Next Article Ford enters competition to develop new US Army tactical truck

Related Articles

FBI asked ‘Sammy the Bull’ if ex-Gambino mob prosecutor Comey knew meaning of ’86’: court filing

August 22, 2026

Dem Senate hopeful racked up hundreds of missed votes during stops at multiple taxpayer serving jobs

August 22, 2026

The Will of 100: Trump’s SAVE America Act sidelined after Senate unanimously agreed to August exit

August 22, 2026

USPS publishes rule to block mail-in ballots from states that don’t provide voter lists

August 22, 2026

Teacher who battled union fears she’s being targeted after shirt complaint: ‘I’m afraid’

August 22, 2026

WATCH: Father of three outraged over advice his family received amid trans teacher fight

August 22, 2026

Democrats face ‘do-or-die’ split with key voting bloc in razor-close Senate race

August 22, 2026

EXCLUSIVE: 5-time illegal entrant admits ‘mistake’ that finally got him busted by ICE

August 22, 2026

Top Dems go silent after McCarthy vindicated for booting Swalwell off intel committee

August 22, 2026
Don't Miss

Hasan Piker sings mocking ‘We Are Charlie Kirk’ song at live podcast show

Connecticut police officers shot, suspect killed after attempted arrest sparks hectic chase

Marc Stad assumes controlling stake in Timberwolves, Lynx; Alex Rodriguez remains WNBA’s franchise’s governor

Trump plan taps US firms to fight foreign cybercrime

Latest News

99% of Americans Have Never Seen These Home Defense Shotguns

August 22, 2026

Federal judge blasts Rubio’s 75-country visa freeze as ‘Orwellian,’ strikes down policy

August 22, 2026

25 Insane Camping Gadgets You’ll Wish You Had Sooner!

August 22, 2026

Canada’s Carney says US made last-minute ‘power play’ as trade talks collapse; retaliatory tariffs in place

August 22, 2026

Alex Palou tops final Freedom 250 Grand Prix practice session that had multiple red flags

August 22, 2026
Copyright © 2026. Truth Republican. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.