Close Menu
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Truth Republican
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Guns & Gear
  • Healthy Tips
  • Prepping & Survival
  • Videos
Newsletter
Truth Republican
You are at:Home»Politics»Why Trump is suddenly threatening Iran’s last untouched nuclear site
Politics

Why Trump is suddenly threatening Iran’s last untouched nuclear site

Buddy DoyleBy Buddy DoyleJuly 28, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp
Why Trump is suddenly threatening Iran’s last untouched nuclear site
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

President Donald Trump is threatening to strike Iran’s deeply buried Pickaxe Mountain nuclear facility — a site the United States previously left untouched while bombing the country’s other major nuclear sites, raising new questions about what may have changed.

Estimated to lie beneath at least 100 meters of rock near Iran’s damaged Natanz nuclear enrichment complex, Pickaxe was designed to replace an above-ground plant capable of assembling roughly 6,000 advanced centrifuges each year before it was destroyed in 2020.

Iran said the replacement would be larger, more modern and built “in the heart of the mountain.” Analysts believe the tunnels could eventually hold a centrifuge assembly line, an enrichment plant or equipment used in certain nuclear weaponization activities.

I’VE STUDIED MILITARY STRATEGY. TRUMP NOW FACES IRAN’S OLDEST BATTLEFIELD TRICK

Yet the administration has not said whether it has confirmed that centrifuges were moved inside — or why a site left untouched during earlier attacks now warrants a strike. Military experts also disagree over whether airstrikes could destroy Pickaxe’s interior or merely seal its entrances temporarily.

The same depth that could protect Iran’s nuclear infrastructure may place Pickaxe’s main chambers beyond the reliable destructive reach of America’s most powerful conventional bunker-busting weapon. Bombing its exposed entrances could deny Iran access without destroying the facility or anything stored inside.

Trump said Tuesday that the United States would probably strike the area “pretty soon” and “very heavily.”

TRUMP THREATENS ‘MAJOR MILITARY PUNISHMENT’ FOR IRAN OVER FUTURE HOUTHI ATTACKS

His warning came after The Wall Street Journal reported that Israeli intelligence believes Iran moved thousands of centrifuges into Pickaxe last fall. Trump said the transfer “may have” occurred but added that the United States did not have it “on record.”

“Maybe this one they have right,” Trump said. “But it’s okay. It doesn’t mean anything unless they have the material.”

Satellite image Pickaxe

“We follow the material,” he added.

TRUMP SEEKS $672M TO STOP IRANIAN NUKES AS NEGOTIATORS WEIGH FATE OF URANIUM STOCKPILE

By “the material,” Trump was referring to Iran’s enriched uranium, including uranium gas that centrifuges can further enrich to weapons-grade levels.

Before the June 2025 attacks, the International Atomic Energy Agency had verified that Iran possessed 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60%, enough, if further enriched, for approximately 10 nuclear weapons under the agency’s standard measurement.

Most of the stockpile was believed to have been held at Isfahan, with additional material at Natanz and Fordow. Inspectors have since been unable to verify its amount, condition or present location.

The Institute for Science and International Security assesses that the material remains trapped at those three sites and does not believe enriched uranium has entered Pickaxe.

The administration has not said whether the United States independently corroborated the reported Israeli assessment, whether centrifuges are being stored or installed inside Pickaxe or whether nuclear material has entered the facility.

Storing centrifuges would not make Pickaxe an operational enrichment plant. The machines would have to be installed in connected cascades, linked to electrical, ventilation and piping systems and fed uranium gas.

Satellite imagery shows continued construction but no indication that Pickaxe is operational, according to the Washington-based institute. Images from February showed Iran adding concrete, rock and reinforced structures over tunnel portals in an apparent effort to harden them against airstrikes.

Analysts also observed smaller closed-roof vehicles near the entrances that could indicate Iran was outfitting the interior. The imagery could not establish what the vehicles carried.

Spencer Faragasso, a senior research fellow at the Institute for Science and International Security, said earlier U.S. and Israeli attacks prioritized Iran’s operating enrichment program. Based on what was understood about Pickaxe at the time, he said, there was “nothing of priority” inside that warranted expending valuable deep-penetrating weapons.

“The facility is still under construction, and it’s unlikely that a centrifuge plant is operating inside there,” Faragasso told Fox News Digital.

But Faragasso said centrifuges could have entered aboard covered trucks without being detected in commercial imagery, making the reported Israeli intelligence plausible but impossible for outside analysts to confirm.

The reported transfer could help explain Trump’s recent focus on Pickaxe, he said. The facility is also one of the last nuclear-related sites of its size that has not been struck.

Trump did not publicly name Pickaxe during the opening months of Operation Epic Fury. It entered his public rhetoric July 13, when conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt raised the facility during an interview.

Trump said American surveillance had detected no activity there but called Pickaxe a possible target for a “nice big fat shot right into the front door.”

At the end of the interview, Hewitt urged Trump to “go get Pickaxe Mountain.”

“We’re going to take out Pickaxe Mountain,” Trump replied. “Tell the Iranians to be ready.”

The White House could not be reached for comment for this story.

The administration has not explained whether the recent threats reflect new intelligence, an effort to deter Iran from activating the facility or a shift from destroying existing enrichment capacity to preventing Iran from rebuilding.

Whether the United States could destroy Pickaxe from the air remains disputed.

Nicole Grajewski, an assistant professor at Sciences Po and nonresident scholar in the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace’s Nuclear Policy Program, said it would be “very close to impossible” to destroy the facility through an air campaign like the one the United States carried out against Fordow.

iran-war-strike

Pickaxe is deeper and more heavily fortified, she said, and does not have a publicly confirmed structural weakness comparable to those exploited there.

Retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Spalding, a former B-2 operations commander, said planners would first determine whether the mission required destroying Pickaxe’s interior or merely preventing Iran from using it.

“You assess what the goals are, and then you assess the costs associated with making something not fit for use — or destruction,” Spalding said.

If destroying the facility proved infeasible, he said, the U.S. could instead deny access and prevent Iran from bringing in the personnel and equipment needed to operate it.

The institute has identified two possible ventilation-shaft locations through satellite imagery, including one it considers probable. Without internal schematics, however, analysts cannot confirm their purpose or connection to the main chambers.

Faragasso said the shafts could provide weak points for deep-penetrating weapons, although the results of an attack might remain unclear.

“The facility is not invulnerable,” he said. “There are options.”

“At the minimum, the tunnel entrances can be collapsed,” Faragasso added, saying a strike could also send damaging shock waves into the facility.

Grajewski said collapsing the portals would prevent Iran from moving personnel or equipment in or out without first undertaking an excavation visible to American and Israeli surveillance. Any effort to reopen Pickaxe could trigger another strike.

But Iran has previously excavated entrances to missile tunnels after they were attacked, meaning keeping Pickaxe closed could require continued surveillance and repeated military action.

Grajewski said a strike could provide the U.S. with a “symbolic win” against one of Iran’s most prominent remaining nuclear-related facilities but would not eliminate the broader program.

“It is a very high-value facility,” she said. “But it’s not the entirety of the Iranian nuclear program.”

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleBrian Harman flips the bird after 3M Open finish, gets a laugh from Scottie Scheffler
Next Article Treasury removes more than 80 people, companies from sanctions list as part of review

Related Articles

FBI asked ‘Sammy the Bull’ if ex-Gambino mob prosecutor Comey knew meaning of ’86’: court filing

August 22, 2026

Dem Senate hopeful racked up hundreds of missed votes during stops at multiple taxpayer serving jobs

August 22, 2026

The Will of 100: Trump’s SAVE America Act sidelined after Senate unanimously agreed to August exit

August 22, 2026

USPS publishes rule to block mail-in ballots from states that don’t provide voter lists

August 22, 2026

Teacher who battled union fears she’s being targeted after shirt complaint: ‘I’m afraid’

August 22, 2026

WATCH: Father of three outraged over advice his family received amid trans teacher fight

August 22, 2026

Democrats face ‘do-or-die’ split with key voting bloc in razor-close Senate race

August 22, 2026

EXCLUSIVE: 5-time illegal entrant admits ‘mistake’ that finally got him busted by ICE

August 22, 2026

Top Dems go silent after McCarthy vindicated for booting Swalwell off intel committee

August 22, 2026
Don't Miss

Hasan Piker sings mocking ‘We Are Charlie Kirk’ song at live podcast show

Connecticut police officers shot, suspect killed after attempted arrest sparks hectic chase

Marc Stad assumes controlling stake in Timberwolves, Lynx; Alex Rodriguez remains WNBA’s franchise’s governor

Trump plan taps US firms to fight foreign cybercrime

Latest News

99% of Americans Have Never Seen These Home Defense Shotguns

August 22, 2026

Federal judge blasts Rubio’s 75-country visa freeze as ‘Orwellian,’ strikes down policy

August 22, 2026

25 Insane Camping Gadgets You’ll Wish You Had Sooner!

August 22, 2026

Canada’s Carney says US made last-minute ‘power play’ as trade talks collapse; retaliatory tariffs in place

August 22, 2026

Alex Palou tops final Freedom 250 Grand Prix practice session that had multiple red flags

August 22, 2026
Copyright © 2026. Truth Republican. All rights reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.